SlySoft Player?

Discussion in 'High Definition Software' started by DMD, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMD

DMD Well-Known Member

Would it be possible that the SlySoft could release a player for BluRay?

Even for an alternative that both PowerDVD WinDVD

Thanks

2. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

SlyPlayer(tm)

SlyPlayer(tm) is coming... ;)

3. James

Yes, we will do that.

4. Fernando

Fernando SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

But that doesn't mean it will be released within the next 2 minutes. Some people think that software development is done in seconds.

5. BurnerHEAD

BurnerHEAD Well-Known Member

Seriously? Great, I thought you were joking around in the other thread, but well that's great to hear.

So you hired new developers for that one?

Or are you going to do that again, you genius? ;)
    BurnerHEAD

6. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

And the same goes for my experiences with TMT. It seems when one is stable the other isn't on a person's system. I really wish I could use TMT again. :(

This would make me very happy. I'd finally be able to dump PowerDVD, WinDVD, and TMT.

7. DrinkLyeAndDie

You mean it isn't? *gasp* Well, damn... And here I thought you guys just sat on the beach all the time drinking mohitos with each snap from your fingers causing a new product or product update to magically appear out of thin air. :p

Seriously though, this is indeed good news to hear. Just knowing that it will happen is a great thing.

8. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

Good. I'm sick of this crap with both TMT and PDVD. I want something that simply works. :) And I absolutely trust you guys to get it right.

9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

I agree. I have my own issues with TMT and have voiced them in the TMT forum. I like TMT, I do, but, the fact that it doesn't work for so many people speaks volumes. That and I'm having to use a 3 month old video driver because they don't have a new build that works with the 9.x catalyst drivers. Oh, and it's not coming quickly either. Jason said the team is working on other priorities right now. Very disappointing. Also there's no upscaling of DVD's. All of these issues lead me to believe that maybe Webbie isn't wrong...hardware players might be the way to go.

I hold out one last remaining glimmer of hope that SlyPlayer(tm) will FINALLY give us the HD experience we need. Without having to frak around with protection nonsense, they can concentrate on making a player that simply works. Imagine a player that properly decodes HD audio and streams them over HDMI as unmolested LPCM. Maybe they can do bitstreaming, as well, I don't know. But I'll take unmolested LPCM. Imagine a player with reclock built in. Imagine a player with a FUNCTIONAL UI. Imagine a player that's made by a company that has a long history of listening to their customers for improvements. One last hope indeed. :)

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

Pinch me. I think someone drugged me and I'm hallucinating. :p

11. hajj_3

hajj_3 Well-Known Member

would be nice to see slyplayer with just bluray playback for v1.0 then v2.0 you could add .mkv, .avi etc as implementing all those things will take well over a year, just look at vlc and mpc, they've been in development for a hell of a long time. You could have different license types too like Powerdvd maybe bluray edition which just does bluray, basic edition (non-bluray stuff) and deluxe which does everything.

I assume you'd have to develop it under Elby name for legal reasons like with clonedvd? as if you did it under slysoft u might not get hdcp permission etc or would you just do it under slysoft and make it so the player doesnt even need hdcp compliant hardware even without anydvd?

If you did it under elby name and made it all legit you could try and get it on shop shelves and have it bundled with dell, hp pc's at a cheap license cost. As dell wont want anydvd or clonedvd on any of their stuff but a killer dvd/bluray player app they might.

Have you started developing it or have you just decided its on the horizon when you guys have time?

Would be nice to have a default fancy U.I like powerdvd and for us power users the ability to choose a "windows classic" skin and have it very clean and simple like vlc/mpc.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  12. w1seman

w1seman Well-Known Member

For me bitstreaming is an absolutely MUST for a player which is designated to playback HD-Content.

For the time beeing I am more than happy with my current TMT/ASUS Xonar HDAV solution, it simply works a 100 % as it shhould for me!

Slyplayer with bitstreaming however would be an instand buy for me, count me in!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  13. w1seman

w1seman Well-Known Member

I know this is kind of a tough question, but what are your realease plans first or second half of 2009? :bowdown:

14. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

There's no way in hell SlyPlayer(tm) will require HDCP. Have you seen Slysoft in action before?? :D They HATE protection even more than I do. And that's saying a lot, believe me. ;) I suspect what you'll see from them is a player that understand BD and probably HD DVD(if not in the first version at least at some point) and DVD structures and simply plays them. AnyDVD will be a companion and required to play back protected discs as there's really no reason or desire to get "licensed up". That defeats the purpose. We want something that'll simply play our titles and forget that things like BD Live and region coding exists. WOOPS! :D As it gets more advanced I'd expect to see DVD upscaling, mkv/avi/whatever file format flavor of the month playback support. I'd expect at least LPCM out of the gate. The question I have, and someone's going to need to research this as I don't have an answer, is if a receiver will allow bitstreaming without HDCP being active. If not, then you're out of luck on bitstreaming. Nonetheless, think about this concept...a player that doesn't screw with audio, plays video and audio correctly using reclock, etc. I mean, that's HUGE.

15. James

That's the plan.

Will do. "Bit exact" if wanted (bypassing Windows mixer). It will have ReClock's functionality included. It will be possible to watch PAL DVDs with the correct speed (24fps instead if 25).
    It will have subtitle placement for CIH setups. Maybe even setting color / transparency of subtitles.

Me neither. ;) Seriously, if I can make it work, I'll do it. Might be very hardware dependent (meaning non workie with ATI HDMI).

Well. cough. UI design isn't exactly our strength. So don't expect everything to be "skinnable". And we won't have a picture of a smiling girl. Maybe the picture of our CEO?

[​IMG] :D

And it will play Java BDs ... without Java, if you want (I do... I can't stand this crap). Just select "play the movie" ... and it plays. Without having to watch Fox's "bullshit counter" first.

All in all, it will be a player designed for the serious home theater enthusiast.

16. James

"elby name" ... what's that supposed to mean?
    Elaborate Bytes AG has nothing to do with this product.

HDCP? You got to be kidding. :D

17. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

God I love you guys! :) That's what I want in a nutshell. That is THE product for us enthusiasts. I forgot about the subtitle options. Very sweet! I'm ready to drop PowerDVD and TMT. If you can deliver a product with all that,then awesome I'm totally in. As for the UI, just make it functional. Skip the CEO. :D

18. James

Yeah, what a disaster if the DTS-HD and Dolby TruHD lamps never glow on your receiver. You paid for them, so they *have to* burn, at least once in a while!

Just cover them with a piece of tape, so you won't know if they are on or off. :D

19. James

Oh, I forgot to mention... Using the "non Java mode" SlyPlayer will be able to resume the movie after it has been stopped. Finally.

20. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Moderator (en)

This is what the bitstreaming guys aren't considering. If the player doesn't molest the hell out of the audio, "bit exact" as you call it, it will sound the same as bitstreaming. I don't buy into this metadata embedded into the stream nonsense. The other thing is, they WANT SlyPlayer(tm) to mess with the audio so it can correct timing issues and other messed up stuff. There's NO processing whatsoever if you're doing bitstreaming. That's not necessarily what you want with a player you trust. I'm not saying to skip the bitstreaming option altogether. If it can be supported, kuel. But, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.