Sony PS3 Cinavia Code

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by Guyersm, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Guyersm

Guyersm New Member

Can AnyDVD circumvent the new cinavia protection that sony is including on there disks to prevent them playing on PS3

2. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

AnyDVD will not remove Cinavia from Blu-ray discs.

3. calcu007

calcu007 Well-Known Member

Neither DVDs too. If you want to watch a movie that had cinavia then don't use PS3

4. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

Look, read then maybe open a thread.....

(yawn......)

See this at the very top pf the AnyDVD HD Forum???

Cinavia Protected Disks and Blu-ray Players (disks and players ONLY)

5. rik1138

rik1138 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the WD boxes don't enable Cinavia, but obviously your Samsung does. This will start becoming more and more of a problem as it seems more studios than just Sony are starting to use it (it'll be on Warner's Wrath of the Titans, not sure if they going all-out with it or not).

If you see the retail packaging for the disc, there's usually a Cinavia logo on the back so you can get some advance warning... I think _all_ Sony titles use it now. The other studios have been kind of random so far...

But, currently, the only way around it is to find a player that doesn't support it (all set-top players made since February of this year are _required_ to support it, so you'd want something older than that, and never update it's firmware. Which also means it won't play new retail discs after about 18 months of life.) I think a media-player PC with a software player will be the only permanent solution, unless you set aside a physical player to play backups only...

6. Roycal

Roycal Well-Known Member

What Samsung model are you using and the firmware version?

One thing you can do that should work is stream the movie from a PC over the DLNA network connection to the Samsung player using a media server like Mezzimo. You will loose some resolution, but it's still very good, if you have the patience to let Mezzimo re-encode it.

But otherwise, an HTPC with HDMI is the best way to go and forget the stand alone players.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  7. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

This probably won't make any difference as cinavia is embedded in the audio stream so it will still be detected

8. Roycal

Roycal Well-Known Member

That may be true, but I was thinking that Cinavia may not be enabled for the DLNA input. I was still seeking someone who could try that and confirm one way or the other.

Streaming services like Netflix can still stream movies that are known Cinavia infected titles through the network connections of the players without triggering Cinavia errors, so I was thinking (hoping) that Cinavia infected streams over the player's network connection do not trigger the errors.

The only way to know for sure is for someone to try it. And results could vary depending on the player model and F/W.

9. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Netflix can do it because they are provided with special copies for streaming that have extremely low bitrates compared to the high def Blu-rays

10. Roycal

Roycal Well-Known Member

Netflix definitely sacrifices the audio for the video bandwidth. No lossless HD audio, but I can get decent 1080 video streaming with Netflix. It's possible that Netflix gets "special" Cinavia free audio streams. Would be interesting to know for sure if that is the case. But I don't understand how a lower bit rate would matter.

PS An easy way to confirm that is just to record a stream (a title that is known to have Cinavia on the published version) from netflix (or other provider) and try to play it back on a Cinavia enabled player. Any takers?

Edit. Sorry that this has become off topic from the OP's post. Suggest moving it to more revelant forum, Cinavia related. ;)

11. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

Netflix can't have cinavia because the streams don't contain aacs encryption. Remember, if a player detects cinavia, it then checks to make sure the proper encryption is in place. Since Netflix streams don't contain the "proper" encryption, it would be useless to contain cinavia. You could never watch any of their streams as cinavia would always trigger.

12. Roycal

Roycal Well-Known Member

That goes back to my original question. Does a Cinavia infected player trigger on a Cinavia infected stream over the networked DLNA port? It's possible that Cinavia detection is disabled if it's streamed through the players network connection. Otherwise, I would agree, that streamers like Netflix must have Cinavia free versions. Or it's possible that the custom apps that Netflix and others have on the players, turn off Cinavia detection for their streams.

It would be easy to prove, all one would have to do is use a camcorder to record a Netflix (or other service's) stream that is known to to have Cinavia embedded in the retail version, and try to play it back on a Cinavia infected player from a disk. Better yet, if you use the analog video/audio connections of the player to record to a camcorder instead of the lens and microphone. But don't worry about recording quality just for the experiment. If Cinavia exists, it will remain in the recording.

Or try to play a known Cinavia infected stream with a local DLNA server to a known Cinavia infected player.

I would try it but don't have a Cinavia infected player yet (knock on wood). I just haven't seen any posts where anyone has tried either of those things.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. TJK0ng

TJK0ng New Member

I think I can pretty confidently say that streamed Netflix content does not contain Cinavia.

I've tested this with the recorded audio stream from streaming 'Dylan Dog' which was a Fox film in which both the DVD and Blu-ray had cinavia protection and Netflix offers it as a streaming option.

I muxed a little more than ~1hr audio recording of the netflix streamed film on my pc that I had captured using Audacity's 'what-u-hear' to the video of an encode I had previously made from the DVD of the same film that with the original DVD audio had been giving cinavia errors on the PS3 after ~20 min of playback. The captured audio wasn't particularly great quality but was certainly a lot better than what people have been using with pirated theatrical releases that contain cinavia, and I didn't bother syncing the audio to fit my release very well or anything, but as I understand it none of that should have made any difference. I let the film play from a flashdrive all the way well past the 1hr mark to where my audio ended without it ever giving a cinavia error.

That's pretty much the result I expected. I already knew that I had always gotten the cinavia error whenever trying to stream any cinavia-protected content to the ps3 using ps3mediaserver or tversity (whether the audio/video had been transcoded or not), just the same as if I had tried to play the same films through usb or from disc, but had never gotten a cinavia error when streaming netflix content. Seems to me that Netflix must get cinavia-free sources from the studios/distributors for their streaming content.

14. Roycal

Roycal Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for that input. I think that pretty much resolves that argument. The commercial streamers do not stream Cinavia.

Thanks again and unless someone disputes that, I would take that as conclusive.

BTW this is what AdBear and some others were claiming all along, but could not convince me without actual real world testing. Your real world testing has now convinced me ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  15. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the technology can be employed by just about anything. They can potentially embed any number of different watermarks that mean different things, and devices can be updated to recognize these watermarks.

So for example, Netflix could employ a watermark that is checked in future versions of stream players that they use. Cinavia devices could receive an update to recognize a Netflix watermark and refuse to play the content if it is not coming as a stream from the device's subscription based Netflix player.

Just because it isn't employed now doesn't mean it might not in the future. Cinavia has to date not been defeated.