Stop Online Piracy Act & "Protect IP" laws

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by James, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

Passing this bill will make things worse for entities trying to fight online piracy, because, more people who want to access blocked sites will learn about and use VPN's. This will create business for the foreign ISP's running the VPN's, and it will render ALL traffic between computers and foreign ISP's via VPN totally encrypted and untraceable, save for raiding the foreign ISP (and they might only have access to logs that the ISP maintains; most VPN services don't keep logs).

As it stands now, they can at least send cease-and-desist warnings to US based IP addresses. They won't even be able to do that if you have a nationwide block. That means everyone in the country can still access the blocked site by using a VPN, and they won't be able to track it, save for a bunch of IP addresses on a public tracker (or whatever) pointing to various foreign ISP addresses that they won't be able to do anything about. I guess they can block the entire foreign ISP, but that would open up a whole new can or worms and will cause a whole host of other problems.

What it basically boils down to is, blocking specific sites via ISP's by forcing them to block them by making it a law is NOT going to stop piracy, and will make it HARDER for companies to fight it than it already is. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. JJjones

JJjones New Member

Agree: down with SOPA:clap:

3. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

So this bill was supposed to of passed or failed by 12/21/2011. Did it? I really can't find anything on it except it was postponed till next year only to hear they were still having sessions on it so the public doesn't get involved.

4. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

5. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

Well atleast the private users "won" round 1, bring on round 2 :)

6. Charlie

A hot issue awaits Congress when it returns in January: online piracy.

Both chambers of Congress are set to address bills that deal with online copyright infringement.

Brendan Hoffman, Getty Images

Both chambers of Congress are set to address bills that deal with online copyright infringement.

Enlarge

Brendan Hoffman, Getty Images

Both houses have bills to combat copyright infringement of movies, music and other intellectual property on rogue, non-U.S.-based websites.

Powerful interests are facing off over the proposals: Content creators, led by Hollywood and the music industry, are pushing for the most stringent measures. Opposing them are tech and electronics giants.

Sixteen tech companies, including Google, PayPal and Twitter, took out newspaper ads this month charging that the bills would "give the U.S. government the power to censor the Web using techniques similar to those used by China."

"This issue is a test of whether or not Congress … realizes it is now the technology sector that is driving the U.S. economy," says Michael Petricone of the Consumer Electronics Association.

A House proposal would have the Justice Department seek court orders to require Internet service providers and search engines, such as Google, to block access to infringing sites. Advertisers and payment services, such as PayPal, would have to cut off the sites, too.

Opponents say that's too broad and could cost jobs and stifle innovation. The measures needed to comply, they say, also could restrict free speech.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, has asked House Judiciary Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, to hold hearings in January to quiz tech and security experts about possible repercussions of the proposal, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). Smith still expects the bill to pass, saying criticism of it "is completely hypothetical."

Showing how the battle has intensified, domain name company GoDaddy.com last week dropped support for SOPA after some websites began moving to another registrar.

In the Senate, Ron Wyden, D-Ore., plans to try to filibuster the Protect IP Act. "Our nation's leading technology employers warn that this bill presents a clear and present danger to innovation and job growth."

He and co-sponsors have proposed an alternative, the Online Protection and Enforcement Act, which would put piracy enforcement with the International Trade Commission. It could order sites to stop and cut off payments and ad revenue. The electronics association backs that alternative.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2011-12-27/SOPA-congress-piracy/52246628/1

7. Rodster

Rodster Well-Known Member

Glad I dont live in the US.

8. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

Don't be too sure about that....

If the powers that be are successful here in the US, what makes you think that the ones in power in your country won't try to do the exact same thing??

9. RedFox

RedFox Member

Man this is really a disgusting law that I just found out about as a sideline of Anonymous hacking the Stratfor site and releasing a shitload of credit card account names numbers and passwords. Part of their motivation was SOPA.

This was the first place I came to see what impact it would have.

I signed the petition, but don't know how much difference that will make. I think there needs to be a better organized campaign of contacting your own congressman.

Charlie, please don't bring up your crap against Republicans, because similar things happen under Democrats, and dividing us against each other is just stupid. I'm a Republican, and will fight this tooth and nail.

10. Charlie

Nintendo and EA just pull away from supporting this bill now. The no's are getting stronger!

11. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

Not just them mate, the irony is. Sony Electronics apparantly dropped support too.

12. Charlie

Yes I watch all the Anonymous videos and read their news. People are calling them hackers or such but I don't always see it that way. Now with the recent credit card ordeal they suppose to of done, if true it was a bad thing regardless of their intentions.

13. singlecut

singlecut Member

It's looking more and more likely that these laws are not going to pass, but it's likely that in some way they'll be able to block website like this one, destroying our ability to make backups, etc. My question, as someone who doesn't know a lot about networking, is will this really be possible, and is there a way to get around it in the long run? Could we really be looking at a future where overseas websites like this can be simply blocked out from us in the US?

14. RedFox

RedFox Member

It only took me a few minutes using the zip code link at Wiki's blackout site to ask my US Congressman and both Senators to please not pass either of these bills.

15. Charlie

This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed. ███ ████████ ██████ ██████████ ██ ████ ██ ████ ██████████ █.

16. Charlie

Looks like we have a newer threat soon? I replaced my full name with Sir. OPEN doesn't sound to good of an ideal either to me. Do we need a new thread just for OPEN now?

17. RedFox

RedFox Member

Trying to get a congressman/senator to represent you is like trying to nail Jello to a wall. Now it's "OPEN" which we know little about. The thing that's even worse is there is no "N" in the acronym represented in the title: "Online Protection and Enforcement of Digital Trade" which should be OPEDT, but that's not pronounceable and conveying what the word "OPEN" does, so they don't even have the balls to follow proper acronym semantics.

Reminds me of how Global Warming was altered into Climate Change, or Liberal is now changed into Progressive. All politicians do the same change-a-roo trying to satisfy the lobbyists without the voters knowing how they screwed them again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  18. Charlie

Props to The Pirate Bay for coming out and saying this!

_"Over a century ago Thomas Edison got the patent for a device which would “do for the eye what the phonograph does for the ear”. He called it the Kinetoscope. He was not only amongst the first to record video, he was also the first person to own the copyright to a motion picture.

Because of Edison’s patents it was close to financially impossible to create motion pictures in the North American East Coast. The movie studios therefore relocated to California, and founded what we today call Hollywood. The reason was mostly because there were no patents. There was also no copyright to speak of, so the studios could copy old stories and make movies out of them – like Fantasia, one of Disney’s biggest hits ever.

So, the whole basis of this industry, that today is screaming about losing control over immaterial rights, is that they circumvented immaterial rights. They copied (or put in their terminology: “stole”) other people’s creative works, without paying for them. They did it in order to make a huge profit. Today, they’re all successful and most of the studios are on the Fortune 500 list of the richest companies in the world. Congratulations – it’s all based on being able to re-use other people’s creative works. And today they hold the rights to what other people create. If you want to get something released, you have to abide by their rules. The ones they created after circumventing other people’s rules."_

19. SuperFist

SuperFist Member

You guys are absolutely awesome for having a thread about this! I signed up on every site I could! :bowdown::clap:

20. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.