The ANY! folder

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by Dannybridi, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Dannybridi

Dannybridi New Member

I have just started using AnyDVD HD and have noticed that a Folder with the name "ANY!" gets created automatically when I choose to Rip to image. I'm doing the following:
    1. Run AnyDVD HD
    2. Load the Blu Ray movie
    3. Select "Rip to image..." from the icon in the notification area
    4. Select a name and location for the ISO
    5. Burn the resulting ISO to a BD-R on another PC that does not have AnyDVD installed

The backup BD-R plays fine on my PC (using VLC), but not on my stanalone Sony BD player.

I manually copied the contents of the new BD-R excluding the ANY! folder onto another BD-R, and that works fine on the PC and the Sony standalone player.

Using the "Rip video DVD to harddisk..." option does not produce the ANY! folder.

Two questions:
    1. What is the purpose of the ANY! folder?
    2. How can I avoid creating it (when using the "Rip to image..." option)?

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

The answer is simple.

1. None, there is no purpose. The !ANY folder is the renamed AACS or BD+ (BD Protection) folder (not sure wich one) and can safely be removed if wanted. Standalone players & software players just skip it
    2. U don't, any BD disc that is protected by AACS and u rip it will have the !ANY folder

thats all. Nothing to worry about. If the backups don't play on your standalone then you're probably using crappy blank media.

The easiest way to backup a disc is rip to iso with AnyDVD and burn the ISO with IMGBurn back to a blank.
  3. Dannybridi

Dannybridi New Member

Thanks for the reply.

My Sony standalone player does not simply ignore the !ANY folder, but rather refuses to play the disc. The media I'm using is Verbatim BD-RE. When the same disc is burned with the ANY! folder, Sony does not play it. Without it it plays the movie. I witnessed this behaviour on two different Sony models, I'm trying to locate someone with a different brand to test on it.

Now I know that I should remove the ANY! folder before burning the backup...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. Peer

Peer SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Try ripping to folders and adding the ANY! folder, then burn a disc. I'm pretty sure, that will work. There must be something else wrong with the image.
  5. Achernar

Achernar Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a sort of a "copy protection" on Sony player in question - the existence of ANY! folder is definitely a footprint of AnyDVD HD, i.e. quite certain clue that the disc was processed with AnyDVD and is most probably a copy of the commercial disc...

Or perhaps I'm becoming too paranoic... [​IMG]
  6. Pelvis Popcan

Pelvis Popcan Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. In fact, when I first noticed the ANY! folder, my first thought was won't players update their firmware to not play discs that have an ANY! folder? I felt that folder name should be something like five random alpha numeric characters.
  7. PrincipalityFusion

PrincipalityFusion Well-Known Member

That would be stupid of the players to do that. Slysoft could just rename the foler ANDALL!, then Sony would have to update their firmware just for that!?

Considering that a bunch of people here play backups on all kinds of hardware players, I would point to another cause.
  8. Achernar

I wrote "copy protection" (in quotes). This may be a special case, the folder is on AnyDVD processed images for a long time.
    If I were at Sony in charge of discouraging people making successful backups, I might had such funny idea and check for ANY! folder - by introducing negligible change into the firmware. :D
    How many average users get into editing of an image, not to mention getting to the idea of removing particular folder from it? Although simple, such method could discourage many users of that player.

However, the player model is still unknown, so nobody can recheck for this peculiar behavior.

Could you please only rename ANY! folder to e.g. ALL! in your image, burn it and retest?
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  9. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

You can't do that without remastering.
    Better test: Remaster the disc, including the ANY! folder. If this plays, the folder isn't the problem. And I doubt, that it is.
  10. Achernar

Either way, it's worth a try. And I'll pay closer attention in expressing myself more precisely in the future...
  11. Dannybridi

Dannybridi New Member

I will build a BD-RE with the ANY! folder renamed to ALL! and test. Will post my findings in a couple of hours... BTW, the Sony players I tried are the BDP-S350 and the BDP-S550.
  12. Achernar

In that case, the presence of ANY! folder is unlikely to cause the playback problems, as already suggested by Ch3vr0n, Peer, PrincipalityFusion and James.

So it's even more interesting to see the findings of the new test. :)
  13. Peer

I don't think that is going to bring any light into this.
    You should leave the name ANY!
    The idea is supposed to be, that you're not using the original ISO that AnyDVD created, but an own self-mastered one, but still with the ANY! folder on.
  14. Dannybridi

Dannybridi New Member

Test results:
    1. I created a BD-RE with the ANY! folder renamed to ALL! --> It worked fine on Sony
    2. Using the same BD-RE, I mastered it with the ANY! folder, but this time empty --> It worked fine on Sony
    3. Using the same BD-RE, I mastered it with the ANY! folder, with its content --> It worked fine on Sony
    4. For completion's sake, and since I did not expect the result of step 3, I re-created the original problem by creating a new ISO (from the original BD using the "Rip to image..." option) and burned it onto the same BD-RE --> IT WORKED FINE ON SONY!!!

Now I am totally confused, :confused: especially after having spent many hours trying to figure out a problem that does not seem to exist anymore. :mad:

To be on the safe side, I think I will remove the ANY! folder on future backups.

Thanks to all.
  15. florinsasu

florinsasu Well-Known Member

That's a safe bet. TMT3 refuses to play from folder when there is a subfolder ANY!, meaning that they banned the rename of AACS that Slysoft uses.
    It is not much of a stretch of imagination that such restrictions can be implemented by a new firmware of a standalone player, making the old discs with ANY! on them not work.
  16. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

I've never had any issues with the Any! folder being left in when playing back using TMT 3
  17. florinsasu

florinsasu Well-Known Member

version with 3D plugin, playing from folder
  18. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

Must be something to do with the plugin as I have the latest without the plug in and it has no issues
  19. dirio49

dirio49 Well-Known Member

I have no problem. I have the plugin too.
  20. Peer

Nope, just did that a few days ago. With the 3D plugin - and a 3D disc. No problem.