The ANY! folder

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray)' started by Dannybridi, Jul 28, 2010.

1. florinsasu

florinsasu Well-Known Member

I just re-checked now and it works for me also. But I remember I had a movie that didn't play if the ANY! was there. Does not matter anyway...
    The point is: what do you do with the backed up discs when some firmware decides not to like the SLY! or ANY! folders?

2. Achernar

Achernar Well-Known Member

Well, PrincipalityFusion gave his somewhat harsh explanation that such firmware updates "would be stupid" in this post. However, implementing such simple check in firmware would make all of our current backups, i.e. the backups made prior to that hypothetical firmware upgrade unplayable.

Although this issue was brought up by a "false positive", I think it shouldn't be ignored and AnyDVD should not leave clear fingerprints. Taking into account what tricks are used to stop making copies (intentional damages to sesctors and other "atrocities" like BD+), checking for ANY! folder doesn't seem so improbable or "stupid" to me.

But that's just my oppinion... ;)

3. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

Consumer electronic manufacturers don't do such things "just for fun". Firmware changes cost a lot of money. This particular change would cost them sales, too. ;)

4. James

If this really should happen, we'll make an AnyDVD update and call the folder "Blah" or something else. Or remove it completely. It is currently present to help 3rd party software like "My Movies".

5. Achernar

I realize that, but it won't solve the problem of making old backups useless (i.e. unplayable), ultimately requiring a re-burn with updated AnyDVD.

And even if firmware changes are expensive, they do occur quite frequently for other things like addressing some playback issues or adding new features; I imagine this kind of folder-check would be trivial to add into new firmware update, and would be quite effective.

I know it's only a speculation but doesn't seem like entirely impossible scenario.

6. James

Effective? For the equipment manufacturer? How? So he sells less units if the word spreads? :rolleyes:

7. James

Sorry, but this simply isn't true.

8. Achernar

"If the word spreads" - which can take quite a long time. There is a "Cinavia fever" causing frenzy search for older players. But sooner or later, all hw folks would end up with Cinavia on their units... the old ones are aging, deteriorating and eventually will die.
    New units may not contain this check - instead it may only appear in the fw update for older models. It could even increase sells of new models (without the folder check), as people might decide to toss the old "problematic" players.

And what can be the percentage of AnyDVD users regularly checking this forum reading topics like this one to become aware of such update?
    I'm quite sure average users won't even know what happened, blaming media quality, media aging or something third.

If folder-check could impact sells so badly then Cinavia should stop the sells completely. But that is, sadly, far from the truth.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  9. James

Yes, because player manufacturers *must* implement Cinavia. It is part of the AACS license agreement. Blacklisting folders on a disc is not. :rolleyes:

10. Achernar

Sorry for being persistent, but I have two older players and 100+ BD backups made with AnyDVD so I'm concerned that one day they might become (bad) frisbees.
    And as I said, blacklisting folder names could (paradoxically) increase sells of the new units.

11. Achernar

What's preventing AACS LA from making it mandatory as well?

Maybe we are giving them wild ideas only. :)

12. James

Common sense?

13. Achernar

LOL, excuse me, but when AACS LA have shown common sense when it comes to subverting the attempts of ripping/copying; is BD+ a product of common sense and how is Cinavia more common sense than folder blacklist?

No offense, just discussing and trying to get rid of my "fears".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  14. florinsasu

florinsasu Well-Known Member

Any reason for changing from SLY! to ANY! ? ;)

15. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator nl

Cause its called AnyDVD not SlyDVD ;)