Two drives not working now :(

Discussion in 'AnyDVD' started by Tick_tock, Dec 11, 2011.

1. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Moderator (en)

It's incorrect to assume that this version numbering of the driver will be the same as the AnyDVD release version. Yes, the driver installed by 6.8.9.0 is, in fact, 6.8.8.8.

2. Tick_tock

Tick_tock Member

I have verified that this problem is NOT:

1. Registry - as I updated to a previously backed up, working registry.
    2. the product of having two conflicting disk drives, as I have manually unplugged them and still no joy.

However, I HAVE verified that the reason that the drives lose the ability to detect or play media in the drive is AnyDVD. After uninstalling and leaving AnyDvd uninstalled, both drives work perfectly. I can replace the disk in the trays (and have) twenty times and nothing I can do will make the drives not recognize the disks. In other words THE DISK DRIVES WORK PERFECTLY WITH ANYDVD UNINSTALLED.

BUT...The second I install AnyDvd and reboot, if eject a disk and put a new one in I get "Insert a disk."

I noticed that basically when the registry doesn't have the lower filter of AnyDvd it works fine, but when it gets installed nad the registry adds the lower filter of AnyDvd, my drives no longer recognize the disks and say "Insert a Disk."

What is going on in the install of AnyDvd that is killing my drives?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

I think you're going to have to wait on one of the Cods to see this one. :(
    Your problem is very rare.....

-W

4. James

James SlySoft Development Team Staff Member

Where are these driver files coming from? Have you renamed the VClone.sys driver by Hand? Or are these some malware versions? And that two are running really can't be good.

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aj2jg918.SYS 04365000 00043000
    Version: 5.4.3.5 (5.4.0.0)
    Company: Elaborate Bytes AG
    Product: Virtual CloneDrive
    Copyright: Copyright © 2002 - 2009 Elaborate Bytes AG
    Description: VirtualCloneCD Driver
    FileVersion: 5, 4, 3, 5
    ProductVersion: 5, 4, 0, 0
    PrivateBuild: No
    SpecialBuild: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\a4wnlp9y.SYS 043a8000 00045000
    Version: 5.4.3.5 (5.4.0.0)
    Company: Elaborate Bytes AG
    Product: Virtual CloneDrive
    Copyright: Copyright © 2002 - 2009 Elaborate Bytes AG
    Description: VirtualCloneCD Driver
    FileVersion: 5, 4, 3, 5
    ProductVersion: 5, 4, 0, 0
    PrivateBuild: No
    SpecialBuild: Windows 2000/XP/VISTA

5. Tick_tock

Tick_tock Member

James,
    Thanks for your response.

Honestly, I don't think I would even know how to do that. Do you think these could be messing things up?

I don't know if these helps, but I also have Daemon tools and image Burn installed - but that's nothing new, although, I vaguely remember possibly updating ImgBurn recently. Maybe some settings got changed?

But as for the drivers, I don't know where they're from.

6. James

I suggest to uninstall Daemon Tools and Virtual CloneDrive. Reboot. Please post a new logfile when done. AnyDVD working better now?

7. Tick_tock

Tick_tock Member

Ok,
    I uninstalled Virtual Clone Drive, Daemon Tools and ImgBurn. Reboot, and same problem right from the start.

I did a full scan with updated Norton last night, and a MalwareBytes scan this morning and is and was clean

New Logs attached.

I noticed the Clone CD tray was showing and on autostart, for what it's worth.

Attached Files:

8. James

Hmm,
    as Peer has suggested in your other thread, this one looks very suspicios:

\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\spfc.sys 010c8000 00127000
    Version: unknown

9. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

Tick Tock, Your other (hardware) thread has a couple of things too.

-W

10. Tick_tock

Tick_tock Member

Thanks Clams. I just checked it out. What a bummer.

Even if I can't fix this thing, one thing I definately appreciate is the time people on this forum have taken to try to help me.

THANK YOU :)

11. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and post info as needed. That's what helped out in your situation, passing info so that us users and the mods can help troubleshoot your issue.

I hope that your issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

:clap:

12. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

No problem, but your problem is very unique and difficult.
    My gut tells me a complete C : -ostomy and reload is the fastest solution in your case.

-W

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

W7 "Tweaks" can be deadly

We've worked this in Support. Several properties of this problem lead me also to the "flatten/rebuild" path. And thanks for the very detailed protocol of events leading up to this present state.

1. The trail of events leading up to this present mystery point out some unorthodox registry "tweak" for the initial file/device association error.

2. The appearance of a "mystery drive" also points to a corrupted environment.

3. The fact that PowerDVD can use the drive but Windows cannot (drive is "empty" message) tells me the I/O interface controls are corrupt.

This one is a do-over I'm afraid and in the future we suggest to avoid band-aids with registry tweaks for W7. Such things can make your machine behave in very unorthodox ways.

14. Tick_tock

Tick_tock Member

Old Post - New Info

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to follow up as I am the op. I appreciated everyone's advice on my problem with the drives not being recognized/disappearing randomly. I came acrosss the answer while researching something else. If your disk drive is disappearing, blu-ray drive disappearing, or any hardware is disappearing, check your power supply. By installing a larger power supply I got rid of this issue. I had a 650 that I don't think was performing well. Bumped up to 850 and no probs. Of course this was after reinstalling windows and everything b/c I screwed up so much stuff while trying to follow other possible solutions. Turned out the simplest was the best. I should never have messed with registry of course - had nothing to do with windows, registry, or hardware. As someone who messes with small electronics as a hobby, I'm embarrased at my lack of seeing the bigger picture - not just disk drive disappearing, but hardware disappearing. Learned alot the hard way - as usual :bang:

And of course, it had nothing at all to do with slysoft/anydvd - which has always worked so flawlessly. It would just appear when I would put the dvd in because it overwhelmed the Power Supply psu.

Cheers!
    Dean

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  15. Frank

Frank SlySoft Support Team

Fascinating

Thanks for this feedback. It's really interesting after all. Who would have thought about that?

16. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

Ya.. I would have thought a 650 would handle all that too.
    I always build with ASUS MOBO's - because of the built in hardware voltage monitors.
    I'm not sure if it would have caught this one though....

I once had a "miswired" IDE cable that gave me the runaround for a while. :)

-W

17. discourse

discourse New Member

simple fix for me

I too found that my optical drives weren't being recognized. I find that, if I close AnyDVD (latest couple of versions), my drives are then recognized. I hadn't changed anything else to explain it.

I can thus start my computer, back up my DVD with AnyDVD, close anyDVD from the system tray, then do what I need to do with my drives after.

Something must have changed in the AnyDVD config.